TimeViewer/TimeVis - Visualizing Temporal Data using prefuse
The aim of this project was to extend and generalize PlanViewer, a Software Prototype applying PlanningLines to MS-Project and Asbru plans. As PlanViewer has been generalized to not only visualize plans, but any kind of temporal information, and to emphasise the difference between the old PlanViewer and the new, extended version, the new prototype is called TimeViewer. As a byproduct of TimeViewer an API called TimeVis has been developed. TimeVis enables developers to quickly develop applications that need to display any kind of temporal information. Both, TimeVis and TimeViewer have been developed using Java Swing, Java 2D and prefuse.
Particularly the requirements were:
- Provide an Overview Plus Detail interface, whereas the overview provides a Range Slider control to navigate (pan and zoom) on the detail view.
- Provide a Fisheye View for the temporal axis and enable the user to adjust the fisheye intensity and eventually to turn the fisheye on and off.
- Make it possible to visualize multiple plans beneath each other.
- The interaction and navigation, especially the toolbar, needs to be im- proved in order to enhance usability.
- It should be possible to search for activities.
- Extract a (TimeVis) API from the TimeViewer prototype to make it easy for developers to build applications with Java Swing and prefuse to visualize any kind of temporal information.
|>> Download TimeViewer prototype executeable jar|
Needed application: Java JRE 5
|Size: 2 MB
|>> Download Documentation of TimeVis|
Needed application: PDF Viewer
|Size: 552 kB
W. Aigner: Interactive Visualization of Time-Oriented Treatment Plans and Patient Data; Master's thesis, Supervisor: S. Miksch; Institut für Softwaretechnik und Interaktive Systeme, 2003.
A. Fellner: Treating Temporal Uncertainties in Complex Hierarchical Data; Master's Thesis, Supervisor: S. Miksch and W.Aigner; Institut für Softwaretechnik und Interaktive Systeme, 2006.