Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien):
Research Division "Visual Analytics" : Centre for Visual Analytics Science and Technology (CVAST)
We are seeking for a highly motivated PhD candidate and Post-doctoral researcher in the field of Visualization (Visual Analytics, Information Visualization), Data Mining, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Information Design, Knowledge Engineering, Medical Informatics, Digital Humanities/Cultural Heritage in the research division "Visual Analytics" # 193-07 (Centre for Visual Analytics Science and Technology (CVAST)), which is established at the Institute of Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology, Faculty of Informatics, Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien), Vienna, Austria.
The successful applicant will
perform interdisciplinary basic research and develop concepts in the field of Visualization (Visual Analytics, Information Visualization), Data Mining, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Information Design, Knowledge Engineering, Medical Informatics, Digital Humanities/Cultural Heritage
- together with leading experts from the Music and Arts University of The City of Vienna (MUK) within the research project IMMV: Interactive Music Mapping Vienna: Exploring a City, 1945 up to the present day
- together with leading expert from the Laura Bassi Centres of Expertise LBC Ocuvac, Medical University of Vienna, Department of Specific Prophylaxis & Tropical Medicine, Center for Pathophysiology, Immunology & Infectiology) within the research project KnoVA: Knowledge-Assisted Visual Analytics.
- design new concepts, techniques, and implement of interactive prototypes
- write scientific publications
- review scientific publications
- participate in applied scientific and consulting projects
- participate in writing research proposals
- work within a creative, highly motivated, and international team
- (to a smaller extent) participate in teaching and supervision of student projects and theses
- (for PhD candidate) University degree in Computer Science, Business Informatics/Information Systems, or an equivalent university-level degree that qualifies to enroll as a Ph.D. student
- (for PostDoc): an excellent PhD degree and a solid track record in Computer Science with a focus on Visualization (Visual Analytics, Information Visualization) or some other project-related area (as mentioned above)
- Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following: Visualization (Visual Analytics, Information Visualization), Human-Computer Interaction, Data Mining, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Information Design, Knowledge Engineering, Medical Informatics, Digital Humanities/Cultural Heritage
- Abilities to work as an independent and flexible researcher in interdisciplinary teams (corresponding to either PhD or PostDoc level)
- Good knowledge of German and English in speaking and writing
- (for PostDoc): prior publications in the mentioned areas
Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following:
- Visual Analytics applied to relational, geospatial, temporal, and nominal textual data, (dynamic) network analysis and visualization, visualization of relationship graphs and clusters of actors, events, and other observations, interaction and navigation techniques as well as multiple coordinated views. The particular focus is on Visualization/Visual Analytics of various multivariate data over Time and Space.
- (for international applicants) Basic proficiency in German
- (for PostDoc) Experience in supervising of PhD students
- A creative environment in Vienna, one of the most livable cities in the world
- Freedom to explore both your scientific and creative interests in the course of your work (within the scope of the project goals)
- A young and international team of researchers with an excellent working atmosphere
- A work environment that is well equipped with the newest hardware and software technology
- The possibility to present and defend your research visions and results at international top conferences and journals
- Continuing personal and professional education
The applicant will be funded according to the Austrian Collective Agreement for university staff, allowing you to support a comfortable life in Vienna (see below).
DATES & DETAILS
Application deadline: as soon as possible, but not later than August 15, 2018
- Start date: as early as possible (negotiable)
- Duration: 2 years (extendable)
- Working Hours:
- Junior Research Position (PhD candidate) (30-40 hours/week extendable) within the KnoVA project and
- Post-Doctoral Researcher (20-40 hours/week extendable) within the IMMV (50%) and KnoVA (50%) project
Salary: following the guidelines of the Austrian Collective Agreement (KV) of the TU Wien.
- Junior Research Position (PhD candidate): a gross salary of 2.794,60 per month (14 x per year;39.124,40 per year) and
- Post-Doctoral Researcher: a gross salary of 3.711,10 per month (14 x per year; 51.955,40 per year ).
- For more information (in German): http://www.tuwien.ac.at/fileadmin/t/pers1/downloads/Personalkostensaetze_2018.pdf
APPLICATION AND CONTACT
For informal questions before the application, please contact Silvia Miksch.
The official application should include:
- Motivation letter (statement of interest)
- Certificates of degrees and grades in courses taken so far
- list of publications
- A copy of the thesis of the highest obtained degree in PDF form
by email with the subject “CVAST Junior Research Position” or “CVAST Post-Doctoral Researcher” to Silvia Miksch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien) aims for enhancing the number of women in scientific positions and, therefore, particularly invites women to apply. We encourage sending your application in electronic form. Applicants are not entitled to claim reimbursement of traveling expenses and/or other costs caused by the application procedures.